Thursday, July 14, 2011

Royal Walnut Moth

It's been a while since my last posting. But this was simply too extraordinary not to share!

I saw this "huge" but beautiful moth at Durbin's Ice Cream Stand in Barberton. This beauty was fluttering about the building's sidewalk. In fear for it's well being, I caught it, to transport it home. We've an extensive wooded area very close behind our house. I thought it'd be safer here than at the very busy intersection, not to mention LOTS of foot traffic around the building. So I picked it up.... it actually felt like a small bird in my hand!!! AWESOME!!!! The fur across it's shoulders was long with such a vivid bright orange color! The rest of the wing color was taupe and cream. Simply remarkable!!!!!!!!! 8- D

At home I got my camera and got some nice shots. When I moved the moth, to put it outside, I noticed that 'SHE'D' laid eggs! They were a little larger than the size of a wooden pencil lead and all clumped together. :- D I put her and the eggs on a large tree. About a half hour later I checked on her but she was gone. Off to lay more eggs, I hope! She'd laid more eggs on the tree then took flight to places unknown?

After looking over the Internet I found that she's was a "Royal Walnut Moth". Apparently the caterpillar form of this moth is known as the "Hickory Horned Devil", which is reputed to be almost the size of a hot dog! A rather amazing creature. Check this web site for more information and an interesting story about a rescued Hickory Horned Devil. http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/2010/09/hickory-horned-devil.html


I immediately thougth of my friend, Annette, and ask if she possibly wanted the moth eggs. Following her recommendations I prepared a package with the tiny eggs inside. The package is on it way to her now. Hopefully within a couple days she'll have additional news of further developments. :- D Good Luck Annette!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait for my little "charges" to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm anxious too to see how they develop!!! As far as I'm concerned we haven enough of these beautiful creates.

    ReplyDelete